Friday, February 28, 2014

Neighborhood Professor

So the other day I was in one of my classes taught by a professor who lives in my small Mormon community. He was my youth leader and I have played countless basketball games with him and other members of my home ward. I like this professor a lot, but there was some bad news when it came to taking his class. He basically promised he was going to embarrass me in front of the class and told me to "sit in the front." So what did I do? I sure did not sit in the front. I would sit in the middle to back area of the class everyday (the class has like 180 students). The first two weeks or so nothing happened, and I started to think that he was not going to do anything. I could swear he would look right at me sometimes, but he never said anything. It was about the Wednesday class period of the third week when I finally thought something was up. When I came into class, he looked at me and smiled. This time I knew he was looking at me and I thought "oh, no. Here it comes." The class started with announcements like normal, then my professor asked the class "Has anyone here ever had a youth leader who had a profound impact on there life?" I raised my land a little bit and then put it down. I was now 100% sure that he was going to call me out. He then said, "Well, I'd like everyone in the class to know that there is a student here who I have had twice in youth groups, and he has not so much as said a single word to me since the class has started. He just sits in the back and hides." At this point he was looking at me, and the other 179 students were starting to turn their heads. Then he says my name and "Will you stand up." I stood up and he said, "not a word?" I could not think of anything to say. I eventually uttered, "Hey! How's it going?" I sat down and the professor eventually moved on. So to everyone out there taking a class with a BYU professor who knows them well, I have one suggestion. Talk to your professor before, during, or after class. If you don't you may regret it.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny, but embarrassing! I think that it would be hard to take a class from someone you knew. Not because they would embarrass you, but because they know your full potential. They would grade harder on you and expect more out of you than any other student in their class. I had an aunt that worked at my high school. She told me that she would request not to have me in her class, because it would be hard not to have favorites ( not because she didn't like me). Did you talk to him more after that? I would be interested in hearing how the rest of your semester goes. Great story!

    ReplyDelete