Thursday, February 6, 2014

Braided Essay

1. The First Sunday Experience
I walk into the doors with my friend Jeff. I look around. Who are these people? Are these really all the singles from my community? I don't know who most of these people are. Am I in the right building? Jeff's been here before, but I'm still not sure. Jeff assures me "this is it." I still don't know. It feels weird; different. Sacrament meeting ends, most people walk by, some say hello.
2. Life, As it Was Before
Growing up I started in one of the eleven or so wards in my Stake in our community. I knew a few people, but then again I was three. The ward split, it was time to meet new people. I grew up in the new ward, with new people. At first I did not know who lived where or who belonged to what family, but eventually I got a hold of where I was. I made some great friends who I today consider to be some of my best friends. Life is good. I go to Sacrament meeting. I go to Sunday school. I can talk to my friends and here all the news and interesting stories they have from the week. I leave church Spiritually and mentally nourished. Life is good.
3. Change
Many of us are suspect of change and will often fight and resist it before we have even discovered what the actual effects will be. When change is thought through carefully, it can produce the most rewarding and profound experiences in life. The changes we make must fit the Lord’s purposes and patterns.-Elder Marvin J Ashton
4. Learning Something Knew
Well the first Single's ward Sunday is over. It is not what I expected but, change rarely is. The people seem nice. The teachers are good. Maybe change isn't so bad after all. Maybe change leads to something more, something that helps us gain a greater perspective. Single's ward may not be what I expected, what's more I never saw myself going to single's ward as a kid, that was always way too far off. Single's ward was for old people. Sure it's not what it used to be, but this could be good too. Jeff drops me off at my house. "Are you going to come next week?" "Yeah. Probably." I reply. Maybe it's time for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment